You know, I like to be positive. But today on this International Autism Day (AKA Light It Up Blue #LIUB), I’m not getting the feeling that we have the “awareness” we need. And it makes me ANGRY.
Yes, I’m happy that thanks to Autism Speaks we have 45+ states with insurance mandates!
But I’m boiling red mad because “awareness” is not enough! 😡
- Children identified EARLY. Pediatricians should lose their license when they send a family away and tell them to wait. REFER! A licensed clinician, with expertise in early identification, can determine if it’s autism.
- When the child is diagnosed, early intervention happens IMMEDIATELY without waiting lists or delays.
- Every child should be able to receive applied behavior analysis (ABA) therapy at the intensity recommended by the professional and based on assessment. This should be without regard to race, native language, socio-economic status, or type of insurance coverage. If you want to know more about ABA, read here.
- Every child with symptoms should be screened for appropriate medical treatment of any GI problems such as reflux, constipation, diarrhea, or food allergies/insensitivities.
- Every child should have access to quality behavioral feeding intervention if assessment indicates it is warranted.
Until these things happen, I will stay mad or “I mad” as one of my clients told me recently (when he found out he couldn’t have chocolate ice cream.) Go ahead, light it up blue but let’s turn awareness to ACTION!